Re: fo:region-after

Dave Pawson wrote:

> I'm struggling to compehend the relationship between
> the various regions of an xsl page.
>
> Objective: To lay out a page with a footer (loose terminology)
> of 1in, which is to contain a line or two in a single fo:block,
> as a region-after for static-content.

Possible solution:

<fo:simple-page-master>
   <fo:region-body margin-bottom="1in"/>
   <fo:region-after extent="1in"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

Here, region-body occupies all the page except for a 1in  strip at the very
bottom, which is occupied by the footer.

BTW: these things haven't changed since last year, and page masters in our
examples are still valid: see www.renderx.com/Tests/headers.fo for a test
dedicated specifically to this topic.

> In the page-master I set a margin-bottom of 1 inch.

This will become the lower edge of your footer. No region may creep beyond the
margins set by the page master. Is this what you meant?

> The region-body *also* has a margin-bottom.
> Is this *within* the margins of the page, hence has no
> association with nor relation to the static-content,
> as I believe?

Yes, this is within the margins of the page - and *therefore* has a direct
relation to the static-content placement. It is this margin that you should
provide in order to leave space for the footer. Witnesseth the Spec (6.4.13,
second note): "The margins on the fo:region-body are used ... to leave space for
the other regions that surround the fo:region-body", including fo:region-after.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX