AVT's in xslt_processor:output doctype attribs?

A recent question about generating multiple documents
reminded me of something that had annoyed me some time
ago: wouldn't it be nice if the doctype attributes on
xslt_processor:output (or even xsl:output) were attribute
value templates?

I use XSLT docs which take a number of command line
arguments, and I have often wished that one of these
could be the location of the HTML4 DTD, which might
vary depending on the webserver for which I'm generating
HTML (I use nsgmls to validate my HTML documents).

Something like (in saxon) :

  <saxon:output file="{$output_filename}" method="html"
                doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
                doctype-system="{$html4_loose_dtd}"
                encoding="iso-8859-1">

I haven't used XT or Xalan for this purpose, so I'm not
sure if this is even possible, but it's probably still
relevant.

Has this ever bothered anyone else? A few replies to
this message might persuade the implementors to consider
this.

--
Warren Hedley