Re: XSL FO: initial-page-number

At 22:28 2000 05 23 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Can someone comment on my interpretation of
>
>  fo:initial-page-number="auto-odd"
>
>?
>
>The page sequence must be numbered so that it follows on from the last
>page-sequence, but is incremented by one if that means it would be
>even. Is the implication that I should leave a blank page where that
>even-numbered page would have mean? or does my document simply skip a
>page?

The implication is what I would think it the usually desired result:
the first page of this page-sequence will be the next odd page.  As a
user/stylesheet writer, you shouldn't have to do anything special
(e.g., "leave a blank page where that even-numbered page would have
been").  (If by "I" you are speaking as an implementer, then whether
the implementation simply skips, e.g., from recto page 13 to recto
page 15 or automatically generates a blank verso page 14 depends on
the value of the force-page-count property on that preceding
page-sequence; note the defn of force-page-count="auto".)

>If this is NOT how I leave a blank page to start eg a new chapter on
>an odd page, how _do_ I specify that? I need to start a new
>page-sequence for the new chapter, because the fo:static-content will
>change.

You probably want to do what I'd want to do (and, I assume, most
people will want to do at least in the realm of hard-copy paginated
output).  To do this, I think you'd want to set:
	initial-page-number="auto-odd"
	force-page-count="auto"   [the initial value]
on all your "chapter-ish" page-sequences.

paul