Re: How would you add depth to this flat XML source?

Jeni,

Thank You very much for the feedback.  Your solution works like a charm.  I am
now happily adding depth to many large, flat documents.

Also, thanks for taking the time to explain your response in such detail.  That
was definitely a great learning exercise for me and hopefully other list readers
as well.

My own solution, which was failing, tracked yours exactly until this bit:

> From: Jeni Tennison <Jeni.Tennison@epistemics.co.uk>
>
> Now we get into a bit of a murky area that I got confused by myself
> recently.  We want to make sure that the *node* that is 'the first
> preceding-sibling that is a firstitem' is the same as the *node* that is
> 'the current node'.  There are two ways of doing that:
>
> a. generate a unique identifier for the two nodes and compare them:
>
>   generate-id(preceding-sibling::firstitem[1]) = generate-id(current())

This addition turned out to be the glue that made it work!  I should have known
from all of the recent generate-id() traffic on the list that it would figure
into the solution somehow!

Thanks again,

Eric