RE: RE: Matching Attributes with @

On Fri, 26 May 2000 paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de wrote:

> Keep in mind that I am talking in a figurative way. This
> way of thinking helped me to understand some template/XPath
> related issues, but I am NOT being precise and I am NOT being
> formal. Just figurative.
>
> I say "tree" and "nodes" in a data-structures-like kind of
> vocabulary, as in the "nodes" of a binary "tree".
>
> In this informal perspective, wouldn't the element - to
> which an attribute belongs - be its parent?

Paulo:

Yes, thanks much for your help.  To clarify:

My current prject is, in fact, to speak informally of Xpath in a document
about it.  However, as I have found that, to the uninitiated, the blurring
that can happen is a problem, such as always using "type" and "name" in
examples of attributes, can confuse a novice reader when I am using proper
terminology: "attribute type name" -- which at the least can be redundant
or confusing.  Same with the parent/child attribute issue.  conceptually,
yes, but terminologically, it blurs key conceptual lines.

Please, again, know that I appreciate all efforts to make these spec's
human readable.

jr

John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
XML Engineer
Emory University
http://vedavid.org/diss/
"There is a difference between knowing The Path, and walking the Path."
					-Lawrence Fishburn/Morpheus