RE: How to preserve a node's value containing escaped text (&apos ; an d " in particular)?

> Unfortunately, I am using the stylesheet to generate XML that
> is fed as input to another application.  This application
> (whether right or not) requests that the value of some
> elements have " and ' represented as " and '.

It sounds as if your application was written by the mythical character whom
we thought had disappeared from the scene - the Desparate Perl Hacker. The
defining characteristic of the DPH is that he doesn't use an XML parser
because he thinks it's an overhead or because he thinks it's only three
lines of code to do the parsing himself. The result is an application that
rejects perfectly correct XML documents, thus causing immense aggravation to
the people who write the code that generates those documents (you).

If DPH works for your organisation, get him fired.

Mike Kay