RE: xml in, xml out

> Am I correct that this is the "classic transformation"
> template that used
> to be talked of?  In other words the basic transformation?
> >
> > <xsl:template match="/">
> >    <xsl:copy-of select="."/>
> > </xsl:template>

As others have pointed out, this identity transformation is rarely useful in
practice because you usually want the output to be slightly different from
the input. That means using <xsl:copy> and <xsl:apply-templates>. However,
<xsl:copy-of> is often useful to copy a whole subtree unchanged, and is
often overlooked because it's tucked away in an obscure corner of the spec.

Mike Kay