output with no tags

I'm becoming a regular here... I don't think that's a good sign.

Okay, using Saxon, i have a bunch of stylesheet rules like:

<xsl:template match="something">
<tag>
ye-olde-content-n-stuff
</tag>
</xsl:template>

I run the xml and appropriate xslt through saxon, but in my output I only
get the content with no tags at all.  Doing the same using MSXML spits out
the content with the correct markup.  I'd rather be using saxon (or some
other xsl processor) since microsoft has such a knack for being stupid, but
what's happening to my markup?