Is Extra space in my XML causing a problem?

Brian,
I think You want normalize-space() section 4.2 of the xpath spec.  Is it
similiar to java String trim() method, except that the number of spaces
on each side of non whitespace data is reduced to 1 space, e.g.:

normalize-space( '     aaaa      ')

would return: ' aaaa '

-matt