Re: How do I count number of nodes?

Alex,

>It was actuallly putting the string {count(*)} as the value of colspan.
>I did find something that works though:
>    <xsl:attribute
>name="COLSPAN"><xsl:eval>selectSingleNode("column-header").childNodes.lengt
h</xsl:eval></xsl:attribute>

If that (IMO monstrosity) works, then you might also have luck with:

  <xsl:attribute name="COLSPAN">
    <xsl:value-of select="count(*)" />
  </xsl:attribute>

If the attribute value template (i.e. the {count(*)}) didn't work, then at
a guess you're probably using a really old version of MSXML, and you would
be better off if you updated to the new, more compliant version, or
switching to a different XSLT processor.

>A quick question about this XML DOM Reference- is the syntax in there
>specific to Microsoft and IE? Or can this be used with any parser? It
>doesn't say on they site...

Some of it is specific to Microsoft and some of it is stuff from an XSLT
Working Draft.  The xsl:eval element, which you use, for example, isn't
part of XSLT 1.0, and if you intend to use it, you should put it in a
different namespace to indicate the fact.

Cheers,

Jeni

Dr Jeni Tennison
Epistemics Ltd * Strelley Hall * Nottingham * NG8 6PE
tel: 0115 906 1301 * fax: 0115 906 1304 * email: jeni.tennison@epistemics.co.uk