Re: html fragments

> Re:
>
> It is disappointing that XSLT documentation, including the new tutorial
> at http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0800/XSLT/XSLT.asp, tends
> not to emphasize that XSLT operates on abstract node trees rather than
> physical documents.
> You will need to redefine your problem if you intend to use XSLT,
> although someone will surely suggest very inelegant workarounds
> involving the creation of text-oriented trees riddled with
> disable-output-escaping flags.

It's not Microsoft's fault.  I understand that XSLT operates on abstract
node trees, and ordinarily I would not try to paste together files using
XSLT.  The obvious solution to the problem is to combine the top and bottom
fragments into one template and call the middle well-formed template from
within that template.  Unfortunately, I am working with an existing site
where the header and footer for all the pages are defined as html fragments
in separate include files.   I was just investigating whether there were any
creative hacks for working with those files as templates