Re: XSLT processor performance

Paul_Dick@lotus.com writes:

 > Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > I should add that (to my surprise) Xalan does not recognize xsl:fallback,
 >
 > The example given is using xsl:fallback outside of a template-body,  in a
 > top-level element.
as in

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' version="1.0"
  xmlns:xt="http://www.jclark.com/xt"
  xmlns:ora="http://www.oracle.com/XSL/Transform/java/"
  xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon"
  xmlns:xalan="org.apache.xalan.xslt.extensions.Redirect"
  extension-element-prefixes="saxon xt xalan ora"
  exclude-result-prefixes="ora saxon xt xalan"

<ora:output name="oout" method="html">
  <xsl:fallback/>
</ora:output>

in case people
 are curious

 > According to the spec section 14.1
 >  When a namespace is designated as an extension namespace and an element
 > with a name from that
 > namespace occurs in a template, then the element is treated as an
 > instruction rather than as a literal result element.
 > NOTE: Since an element that is a child of an xsl:stylesheet element is not
 > occurring in a template, non-
 > XSLT top-level elements are not extension elements as defined here, and
 > nothing in this section applies to them.

interesting. in that case maybe I cry foul back to Oracle?

 > Xalan does implement xsl:fallback,  however, in this incorrect usage, this
 > raises the question of, Should we
 > ignore it or alert the user of the bad stylesheet?  Currently we complain.

I'd be interested to hear Mike Kay's reaction. The reason I put in
that <xsl:fallback> was because Saxon objected to the <ora:output> at
the top level. As I read 2.2 now, Saxon is incorrect. 2.2 says "must
ignore a top-level element without giving an error if it does not
recognize the namespace". Oh, but it does because I declared it up front?

I am mildly confused. Either Oracle or Saxon is misbehaving?

Anyway, my apologies to Xalan! I was maligning it.

Sebastian