RE: Evaluate a string to a node set?

Andy Hitchman says:
>One of my goals is the ability to present the same XML with the same
>stylesheet in different HTML pages (i.e. different layout, same data).

I believe that when the goal is to present the same XML in different
HTML pages, the XSL answer is to have different XSLT stylesheets. In
other words, I think that XSLT is architected from that basis.

>But what we really need to be able to do is specify a path in [the
>tag in the middle where xml data will be inserted into the HTML code]

That looks to me like a description of putting *different* XML data
into the same HTML layout page. I'd say that you have to decide
which thing stays the same (ideally, the HTML) and which thing
varies, then design your system from there.

There are some limited techniques for the XML source document to
contain data that will guide the stylesheet in selection of other
data from the source, but nothing as generalized as pulling an
XPath from the data as a string, then turning around and making
that string become an XPath expression. Perhaps a two-pass
approach would be what you need.
.................David Marston