Re: Merging and Quines

Hi Tom,

> Using Xalan on an 800 node xml file (example node below)  I get the
> following timings for versions 1.2 & 1.3 of your merge xslt:
>
> V1.2 1688618 millisecs
> V1.3 1639537 millisecs
>
> (both ~30 mins)

Hmm ...

> Example Node:
>
> <CONFIGUREDITEM name="UniqueId.name">
>   <GEN>2</GEN>
>   <TIMESTAMP>8-SEP-1999 09:37:54</TIMESTAMP>
>   <DESCRIPTION>General description if item</DESCRIPTION>
> </CONFIGUREDITEM>
>
> Is it because of the large number of string comparisons?

Probably ...

My test case was the following:
XML 1:
<root>
   <a />
</root>

XML 2:
<root>
   <b />
   <b />
   <!-- lots of other stuff -->
   <a />
</root>

In this case the speed increases dramatically.

It seems your data aren't of that nature.
But now I'm clueless what to do for further optimization.

By the way: thinking about keys ...
Is it true that defining a key will always index into the *whole* document?
So if I want to compare two arbitrary node sets (given in two variables)
this is no use case for keys, is it?

> Incidentally, I used both version 1.2 and 1.3 on the version 1.2 and 1.3
> files (they are, after all, XML).  Both took about 2 secs but I could not
> load the merged xsl from v1.3 into IE5 (I could for v1.2 produced file).  I
> get the error:
>
> Reference to undeclared namespace prefix: 'ns1'. Line 29, Position 31
>
> <ns1:template match="m:merge">

That's strange, particularly the difference between 1.2 and 1.3 ...
Either way: the output of an XSLT processor must always be well-formed
according to the namespace recommendation. Merging with Saxon results
in such a well-formed document.
This must be a bug in Xalan (resp. the XSLT engine you use).

Cheers,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |