RE: WYSIWYG XSL Editors

At 10:49 AM 8/29/00 +0100, David P wrote:
>You surprise me Wendell!
>(I'm guessing you don't sit next to Tony, or I'm sure he would
>have converted you :-)
>
>Tony Grahams xsl mode for emacs makes it a dream to use for xsl.
>The saving on typing is worth the effort alone!
>And as for balanced indents/tags I have it as nearing essential!

I mentioned e-macs exactly because I know it's the True Way. I just happen
not yet to have been able to Climb the Mountain.

But the guy asked, and I had to tell him.

Text editors are a good example of software dependencies work as "adaptive
peaks". Once you get familiar with one, it takes effort to retool yourself.
The e-macs peak is very high, but a bit steep. Sitting where I am, I can
see it over there, but I'd have to go down before I could climb up again.

On the other hand, I've talked to students that have complained about using
vi command-key sequences in their sleep.

As for UltraEdit, Textpad, PFE, I haven't seen anything that has convinced
me that one is significantly better than another. (Doesn't mean others
haven't.) It's just what you know, you know.

BTW, there has been an interesting thread on XML-DEV parallel to this one,
about XSL editors and editors for declarative languages in general
(featuring our very own Ken Holman). Good arguments there for why a WYSIWYG
approach will always have shortcomings to balance any advantages. (Archives
on xml.org somewhere ... darned if their page doesn't seem to be down.)

Regards,
Wendell