reesult tree fragment interpretation puzzle

Since result tree fragments are always true, it brings to light some
problems in my older code, where I did stuff like this:

<xsl:variable name="some_XHTML">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="/path/to/some/nodes"/>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:if test="$some_XHTML">
  <!-- only do this stuff if some XHTML was generaated -->
</xsl:if>

My fragment may only have element nodes in it, and thus would have an
empty string value. There doesn't seem to be any way to test for this.

Hurry up with XSLT 1.1! :)

   - Mike