Re: Storing xpath expressions in a vaiable

From: <Sridhar_Ramachandran@i2.com>

> Hi,
>      I am trying to store an xpath expression in variable and trying to
> evaluate it and storing the results in another variable. The xpath
> expression used might depend on the value of some parameter(s) passed to
> the style sheet.

Welcome to the club.

The simplest solution is to use SAXON engine
which understands saxon:evaluate extension function.

saxon:evaluate is not a part of W3C specs  so it is
not portable.

I have implemented the xml 'grep' in 'plain'
XSLT  ( my xml 'grep' is part of Ux v 0.3
available for browsing at http://www.pault.com/Ux/)

I came to conclusion that :

<conclusion>
For some cases saxon:evaluate is *much* better than
any conformant solution.
</conclusion>

I think the number of those cases will keep growing.
The more flexible ( and universal ) you want your stylesheet
to be - the bigger is your need in saxon:evaluate.

So maybe Sebastian was in some way correct when
he was talking about his 'naive' usage of XSLT ;-)

Rgds.Paul.