Fixed-length String Output

Hi,

I am trying to transform an incoming XML message to a format that will be
acceptable to our existing software package.  However the existing package
excepts data on a fixed-length basis.  This is the way we wish to continue.

I was wondering is there a way to force the output of select statement to
take up a certain amount of space.  Not all of the elements will be
numbers.  What I need is something like the format-number function but for
strings.  I taught maybe there might be an attribute in value-of that would
do it, but there doesn't appear to be. Is there anything currently
available in XSLT that would do this for me? I am using the Xalan
processor.

Thanks for the help I have received so far.  I have ordered a copy of "XSLT
Programmer's Reference".  This hopefully will enable me to answer my own
questions.

Thanks again,
Deirdre O'Brien
_____