Re: What's an "XML Fragment"?

There is no particular relationship between the use of the word
"fragment" in XSLT and in the Fragment Interchange spec.  The
latter made a point of defining the term (and related terms) in
a specific way related to fragment interchange.  The former used
the term in a more generic way without considering the earlier
formal use by the Fragment Interchange spec.  (Other specs--the
DOM, the URI spec, and at times XPointer and XLink--have also
used the term in diverse ways.  Unfortunately, "fragment" is
one of those words [like "entity", but perhaps even worse]
that everyone likes to use in a slightly different way, and
few think to define it carefully.)

Despite the fact that I'm on the XSL WG, I cannot answer the
detailed questions about what "fragment" should mean in the
XSLT spec, and it would therefore be best for someone more
familiar with the actual editing of the XSLT spec to respond
to questions about the use of this "term" (if it is, indeed, a
"term" and not just a use of the english word) in the XSLT spec.

paul