Re: Reports using XML,XSL and HTML

IE5 doesn't support the latest and greatest right out of the box.  I banged my
head against the wall for about a week because of that.

Here is a response I got earlier to the same question:

Subject:   RE: can't use xsl:variable or xsl:sort
   Date:    Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:06:27 +0200
   From:   Tomas Olsson <tomas.olsson@colony101.com>
     To:    "'Lewis '" <lewis@ndsapps.com>

> Keyword xsl:variable may not be used here.

First of all:
The namespace you are using (www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl) is an old version.
Try using "www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" instead.

Second:
Your stylesheet should be correct, but you are probably not using the
latest processor to process your stylesheet (I once had the same problem
myself). Check out the MSXML FAQ at
http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm and you will get your
questions answered.

/Tomas.

Rajagopal Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi
>
> Iam working on a report that has sort and filter options based on columns in
> the report. The report is in HTML and is generated using XSL from a XML
> document.
> The XML document is build from the database and sent to the client browser
> thro a java servlet. The document is structured as follows
>
> <ReportName>
>         <Record>
>                 <col1>.....</col1>
>                 <col2>.....</col2>
>                 <col3>.....</col3>
>                 <colN>.....</colN>
>         </Record>
>         <Record>
>                 <col1>.....</col1>
>                 <col2>.....</col2>
>                 <col3>.....</col3>
>                 <colN>.....</colN>
>         </Record>
> </ReportName>
>
> I use the xsl:for-each to iterate thro this document and display the report
> in form of a HTML table.
>
> There are reports that are at least 400 to 600 rows long. How can  i give a
> feature where the user can view only, lets say, 10 rows a time and uses  a
> next and prev buttons to step thro the report in groups of 10 rows each. I
> use IE5, i tried solving this problehm using the <xsl:variable>, but the
> browser says 'Keyword xsl:variable may not be used here.'
>
> Thanx for any  help.
>
> regards
> raj

Lewis Cunningham