Re: Indirection

> which is prone to being screwed if, when I next generate the id values
> for the topics, XT or Saxon note that I've inserted another topic
> between the two.

It's more fragile than that. You can't be sure that the generated ids
will be the same even if you run an unchanged file with the same
processor. (Well if you look at the source of the processor you may see
that it doesn't use the time of day to generate random ids, but it could,
according to the spec)

Can't really say what you should do as I don't understand the problem.
In particular, given that you are "generating manually" the
associations, why can't you supply more stable and memorable id's at the
same time?

If you do have to generate the ids from xsl then clearly you should be
getting xsl to generate the references in your assocrl elements
presumably by specifying in your source, not th eid itself but an xpath
to select the node. (But without knowing what your source looks like...)

David