RE: translating between character sets

> So, in the input, I use entities for umlauts, which I want
> to be umlauts in the output. Example:
>
> input	output
> --------------
> ä	ä
> ö	ö
> ü	ü
> ß	ß
>
> How would I achieve this mapping?

You cannot control what representation the processor will use for these
characters; the only thing you can be sure of is that it will use one of the
many (correct and equivalent) ways of representing them within the character
encoding requested.

For example, with HTML output the processor has a free choice whether to
output ä or ä or ä or ä They all mean the same thing so you
aren't supposed to care (but yes, I know that there are situations where you
might).

Mike Kay