RE: need to translate codes in XML to user-friendly format

> From this queries result set it would be a snap to generate the <refData>
> xml.....but here is the clincher. If I were to save that XML
> in a file so that it could be brought into the final transformation via
> document( ) I would first have to give it a name, save it to a file,
> pass the name into the XSL, read it
> back into memory, use it, and then once the transformation
> were complete, delete the file (as I would no longer need it).

Have a look around the API documentation for your processor, there is
probably a way of returning the results of the SQL query to the document()
function in memory, as a DOM or SAX event stream

For example, in Saxon, you can write a URI resolver which traps a call on
document("sql:SELECT x from y WHERE c"), executes the SQL query and feeds
the result row-set back as a SAX event stream.

Mike Kay