CDATA Help (in SAXON)

Can someone please explain to me why the following :

    <![CDATA[<BR/>]]>

... gets converted to the following when output is set to html :

    &lt;BR/>

Verbosely: The left less-than bracket is being converted to &lt; while the right
is left untouched... ideally I would like them to BOTH be left untouched...

as a side note... what version of SAXON removed method makeStyleSheetInstance
from com.icl.saxon.PreparedStyleSheet?

I'm afraid I don't know what version of SAXON I have.. but when I try to use the
latest saxon.jar I get an error from my XSLTServlet that says it can't find the
makeStyleSheetInstance method. Hmm.

Thanks,
Dylan Parker