From: Kay Michael
To: 'xsl-list@mulberrytech.com'
Sent: 11/2/00 4:21 PM
Subject: RE: XSL to handle display mutliple pages

> 	I have a XML document that could have over 1,000
> database records,
> and I would like to split them up to multiple pages for
> display purposes,
> with Prev and Next button to advance between the pages.

If you've been following other threads you'll have seen the advice that
if
you're getting the data from the database it's best to generate one XML
document for each displayed page of data.

However, at the level of 1000 records, handling a single document is
quite
feasible and despite what others have said, if you're doing the
processing
in the client I think it's quite a reasonable option, because it reduces
the
number of hits on the server. You'll find an example using this sort of
architecture on page 608 of my book*: it's not doing paging in the way
you
describe, but a similar kind of interactive navigation within a dataset.

Mike Kay
* XSLT Programmer's Reference published by Wrox Press, ISBN 1
861003-12-9