RE: different XSL processors {RE: XSL to handle display mutiple pages }

Thanks, Jeni. :)  I will definitely do that since my target is HTML on IE.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeni Tennison
To: Xu, Xiaocun
Cc: 'xsl-list@mulberrytech.com '
Sent: 11/5/00 5:46 AM
Subject: Re: different XSL processors {RE: XSL to handle display mutiple
pages }

Xiaocun,

>   Just a related question regarding XSL processor.  I am using eXcelon
> Stylus XSL editor, which had a choice of either Stylus native
processor
> (standard syntax) or IE processor (Microsoft syntax).  When I use the
native
> processor, the XSL works.  When use the IE processor, it does not.
Also,
> running the XML/XSL in standalone IE, it does not work.
>   So my question is, what processors are out there and which one I
should
> use if my target display is IE?  and how to convert the XSL to work in
IE?

There are *lots* of processors out there; probably the most used and
most compliant are (in no particular order) are Saxon, Xalan and
MSXML. Which one you should use really depends on how you're going to
use it: if your target display is IE, and you're going to transform
client-side (i.e. send the XML and stylesheet to be transformed in IE)
then you have to use MSXML.

A quick thing about MSXML - you should definitely make sure you have
the latest version: the production release of MSXML3 has just been
released and you can get it from the Microsoft web site at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/default.asp. You should also browse the
MSXML FAQ at http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm and make
sure that you install it properly. If you have this version, you don't
have to worry about 'Microsoft syntax': the syntax in MSXML3 is
standard XSLT 1.0 (with a few documented extensions in the msxsl
namespace, but then every processor has extensions).

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison