RE: Equivalent of a Global Counter

> So, what I'm looking for would look something like this (...
> means any id):
>
> <front id="...">
> 	<prov id="...1">
> 		<subprov id="..."></subprov>
> 	</prov>
> 	<label.para id="...">
> 		<para id="...2"></para>
> 	</label.para>
> 	<clause id="...3"></clause>
> </front>
>
> as you can see, the structure of the document is not relevant
> in terms of what number is used, its more of an incremental concept.

I think I would solve this either with an extension function,
getSequenceNumber(), which returns a stream of sequence numbers, or with a
two-pass transformation, in which the sequence numbers are added in the
second phase using <xsl:number/> or count(preceding::*). Or perhaps even
with a post-processing SAX filter which adds the id's. None of these is a
particularly "pure" XSLT solution, but when it comes down to doing real
work, I'm a pragmatist.

Mike Kay