Splitting result into 2 or more documents

Hi !

Maybe a stupid question:

Is it basically possible to transform a XML docuemnt into two or more target XML
documents, thus splitting the content of the origin XML document into several
files?

Would be great if somebody could point me to a resource where I could get more
and detailed information about this topic.

Many thanks in advance for any help !!

  Zeljko