Re: White space - preserving white space within element data using MSXML3

Hi Brand,

>I interested in preserving white space and not line spacing as in the
following:

><example>     Here is some text with white space     </example>
>
>An obvious recommendation is to use &#160;
>
><example>&#160;&#160;Here is some text with white space&#160;&#160;</example>
>
>A recommendation has also been to use <xsl:preseve-space elements = "*"/>.

<xsl:preseve-space elements = "*"/> only applies to whitespace-only nodes.
therefore, it shall not affect your <example> element above.

>With MSXML3, I don't seem to get the results I am expecting.  I don't get any
>results at all.  I'm expecting that the white space will be preserved in the
>rendered document.  Instead the white-space is removed (default behavior).

The default behaviour, and i stand to be corrected on this, is to preserve
leading
and trailing whitespaces in a node also containing text. these spaces can
be removed
using the normalize-space() function. i ran a quick check on some xml with
MSXML3 and
the leading and trailing whitespaces are preserved.

i hope this helps. if not, could you post some code?

Conor.

---------
Conor Ryan,
XML Workshop Ltd,
10 Greenmount Industrial Estate, Harolds Cross, Dublin 12, IRELAND.
Email: cryan@xmlw.ie
Phone: +353 1 4547811; Fax: +353 1 4731626
Web: http://www.xmlw.ie/