Re: Position() of parent node

Hi Simon,

I guess that what you really wanted to obtain was:

count(../preceding-sibling::*) + 1

Please, note however, that the meaning of position depends of which
node-set the node is considered to be a member. A single node can have
different "positions" in different node-sets. As it was discussed in
this group just a few days ago, node-sets are considered unordered, but
there's an iherent ordering which is the "document order".

To that extent your question was not quite precise.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

Simon Cansick wrote:

Can anyone provide me with the syntax for getting the position() value
of
the current nodes' parent node (and the parent parent etc. position()
value).  I seem only able to return the current position().