Re: XSLT 1.1 comments

> > This means that my original statement IS TRUE. Java implementors will
> > enjoy benefits from XSLT 1.1 standartization, while Python and C
> > developers will have to "get together to come up with standard binding
> > for ... extension functions ..."
> >
> Speaking personally, I can't see any reason why the XSL WG would object to
> including a standard language binding for any language if there is
> sufficient interest and consensus among users and implementors to create a
> specification. Unless of course politics gets in the way, but I find it hard
> to imagine that this would happen with Python or C.

It wouldn't.  We could come up with a "binding" in no time flat.  But it
doesn't take away from the fact that it is in general a bad idea.

> There could be a case for publishing language bindings in separate
> documents, this would have the advantage that the modularity of conformance
> requirements would be more obvious, but this is only really a difference of
> presentation, not of substance.

This is very untrue, and I have given many reasons why.

> SQL for years has had language bindings to a number of defined programming
> languages, and most SQL vendors implement a small subset of these (typically
> C and COBOL), and no-one seems to consider this a problem. The DOM uses the
> same approach. It's better if all the vendors who support COBOL should do it
> the same way, than if each does it a different way.

There is strong de-coupling between core SQL and any particular "language
binding" (I assume you mean SQLC, SQLJ and the like).

XSLT 1.1 has the layers completely intermarried, and this is just bad software
engineering.  Then there are the political issues, which cannot be trvialized.