RE: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

> Speaking of gnarly, I'm assuming xsl:call-template can be used within
> exsl:function.  If so, is it permissible for the exsl:result
> to be in the called template, or so on down the chain?

In Saxon, you can use call-template or apply-templates within a
saxon:function, but it only makes sense within an xsl:variable that catches
the result tree. You can't use saxon:return while instantiating an
xsl:variable; so I decided the simplest rule was that the saxon:return must
be structurally nested within saxon:function.

> ("Every exsl:function must have an exsl:result within the
> nodes in its descendant axis").

Saxon says "every saxon:return element must have an ancestor saxon:function
element". It doesn't say the converse: if no saxon:return is instantiated,
the result is an empty string.

Mike Kay