Re: Need help with parameters and Indexes

Hi Daniel,

> In my code you'll notice I pass the parameter $count. Now this is
> either 1 or 2. When I run this transformation, I always get the
> result of ANNUALFORECAST[1]/ESTIMATEDATA, even though when I print
> the value of $count on the page, the first time it's 1, and the
> second time it's 2. Also, if I manually ask for
> ANNUALFORECAST[2]/ESTIMATEDATA, I get it. So, why aren't the indexes
> responding to the value I'm asking for? Do you have to change the
> data type of $count or something?

When you put $count in a predicate, then it will be interpreted as a
boolean unless it's a number.

I bet that you're setting your parameter with:

  <xsl:with-param name="count">2</xsl:with-param>

or:

  <xsl:with-param name="count">
     <xsl:value-of select="..." />
  </xsl:with-param>

In these cases, the parameter $count is set to a result tree fragment.
When you test an RTF in a boolean context, it always returns true
(because it always has a root node).  So if you've set the value as
above then:

  ANNUALFORECAST[$count]

will always select all the ANNUALFORECAST children of the current
node.  If you take the *value* of this node set, then you get the
string value of the *first* node in it - the first ANNUALFORECAST
child.  So you get the same result whatever value you give $count.

Two ways around it: you can convert $count to a number explicitly
with:

  ANNUALFORECAST[number($count)]

and it will be interpreted as a position.

Or you can pass the parameter value using the select attribute, such
as:

  <xsl:with-param name="count" select="2" />

or:

  <xsl:with-param name="count" select="..." />

where ... is whatever you had in your xsl:value-of.

But be aware with either of the two above that the value *has* to
evaluate to a number to get it to work.  It's no good producing a
string or node set value, for example.

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---