How to modify xsl:param with javascript

Hi,
My xml data would probably contain hundreds of device
names in it. I would like to make my xslt sheet to
process the data 10 at a time. In other words, only
first 10 of the xml data will be displayed in the
first html page. There will be a "More" hyperlink at
the bottom of the page and once clicked, next 10
should be listed so and so forth...

I define a parameter called startIndex with an initial
value of 0. Then I would like to increase it by 10
every time the user clicks "More" hyperlink. When I
display devices, I choose ones whose position()
greater than startIndex and less than (startIndex+10).

Here is the related part of my xslt sheet which would
not be processed for some reason that I don't
understand.

<xsl:param name="startIndex" select="0"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="device[position()
&gt;=$startIndex and position()
&lt;=($startIndex+10)]"/>

onMouseOver="self.status='More'; return(true);"
onClick="var
s=style.selectSingleNode("/xsl:stylesheet/xsl:param[@name='startIndex']");
s.value=s.value+10; return(false);"
onMouseOut="self.status=''">More</a>

I can not even see the first page. Here is the message
I got:

Element type "a" must be followed by either attribute
specifications, ">" or "/>".

I understand it does not like it within <a> tag but I
don't know why.
Does anyone have any suggestions on How else I could
write it?

Regards,
Davut Karabay