Using position() with sorted node

I have an xml document whose nodes are being sorted according to date.  I
am trying to use the position() function to reference these nodes, but
since they are sorted, their processing/output order is different from the
original document order.  Furthermore, I am using several for-each
statements which make it even more difficult to use position() since the
position index starts back at 1 for each different set of nodes being
processed.  Is there a way to use position() or a similar function to
reference the position of sorted nodes?

Here is an example of the code I'm looking at.  This particular piece of
code was written by Jeremy Quinn.  Instead of day= referencing the
position of the node in the output, I need it to reference the node which
is processed immediately before this piece of code is executed.

<a>
        <xsl:attribute name="href">form/item-edit.xml?day=<xsl:value-of
        select="position()"/></xsl:attribute>
        <xsl:text>[edit]</xsl:text>
</a>

Thanks.