Re: Re: namespace values

--- Jeni Tennison <mail@jenitennison.com> wrote:

> > The former is absolutely needed. The latter I cannot risk to accept.
> >
> > I would probably accept more easily any vendour's extensions,
> > because they are undisguised extensions and I am clearly aware of
> > the cost I pay by using them.
> >
> > To summarise -- I am for the functionality, but strongly against
> > changing the language.
>
> [I'm a bit concerned that we're talking a little at cross purposes
> here - I'm talking about EXSLT in general rather than EXSLT -
> Functions (i.e. user-defined functions written in EXSLT).]
>
> EXSLT does not change XSLT in any way. The full name for EXSLT is
> "Extensions to XSLT" - it is all about extending XSLT, using the
> mechanisms that XSLT has provided for extending it. I'm afraid I
> really can't see how saxon:node-set() is an 'undisguised extension'
> whereas exsl:node-set() is (presumably) a disguised one? They are both
> functions with the same name and functionality in a namespace other
> than XSLT.
>
> Ahhh... I think that you think that there's an implicit claim that
> using EXSLT will make your stylesheets portable, whereas in fact this
> is not true - the stylesheet will only be portable if you port it to
> other implementations that support EXSLT.  Is that it?  I can add
> something like:
>
>   "Using EXSLT will only make your stylesheet portable amongst the
>   implementations that support EXSLT. Note that there is no
>   requirement for XSLT processors that are compliant to XSLT to
>   support the extensions described within EXSLT."
>
> Would that make it more acceptable?

Yes, you understand me correctly.

Once again, the most useful and immediately applicable result of
this work would be to package the functions as a (pure XSLT) template
library, that everybody could download directly from a web site
and use immediately, without having to depend on specific vendour's
decision to implement EXSL.

This template library would "feed" EXSL with new functionality that
is known to already have signifficant user acceptance.

I guess everybody will agree that a prefix like "jtnns" will be a
most appropriate one to be used generally in this template library :o))

And, of course, other functionality could be continuously added in
subsequent releases.

Cheers,
Dimitre.
P.S. I haven't heard about any existing general purpose XSLT template
library -- this seems to be quite an unoccupied blank area as compared
to the function libraries of traditional programming languages.
Is this really so or am I missing something?