Absolute position

Hi all:

    Does anyone knows how to get the aboslute value of an element
within a tree? and by that I  mean the order on which it is listed
within that tree.  Look at the tree below

  <child1>
  </child1>
  <child2>
     <child2-1>
          <child2-1-1>
             <child2-1-1-1>
             </child2-1-1-1>
          </child2-1-1>
     </child2-1>
  </child2>
  <child3>
      <child3-1>
      </child3-1>
  </child3>
  <child4>
  </child4>
</parent>

To be more clear I am looking for this type of information

"child1" - is number 1
"child2" - is number 2
"child2-1" - is number 3
"child2-1-1" is number 4
"child2-1-1-1" is number 5
"child3" is number 6
"child3-1" is number 7
"child4" is number 8

and so on ....

in other words its "absolute position" as you read from to to bottom and
I want to know that information when THAT node is the context node
in other words if  "child6" is the current node I want to know that
it is really number 6 as I read. Any ideas?