Merging two XML documents

Hi,

I'm trying to merge an XML Document that I get from reading in a file, into
a DOM Document that's already in memory. I have previously used some ugly
casts to use API internal to Sun's parser, but now I've switched to JAXP1.1
and Xalan 2.0 and would like to do this within the jaxp API.
So, basically the question is, how do I take the DocumentElement from one
Document and add it to a node in the other Document? My current error is:
org.w3c.dom.DOMException: DOM005 Wrong document :-(

Thanks,

Arni