RE: Selection Criteria in XSL

OK,

I tried this and it seems to work:
(Warning - I'm totally new to this, and my presentation is just as much a
question as it MIGHT be a solution):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<xsl:template
match="viewentries/viewentry[entrydata[@columnnumber='1']='Autobiography']">
 <xsl:for-each select="entrydata">
  <h3><xsl:value-of select="."/></h3>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

So my understanding is this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> <xsl:template match="viewentries/viewentry">
> <xsl:for-each
> select="./entrydata[@columnnumber='1']/text='Autobiography'">

You are trying to select the specific viewentry node, therefore you would
have:  viewentries/viewentry[some criteria]

Note:  With your's, after you piece together the match & the for-each, you
get:  viewentries/viewentry/entrydata ...
	>> This selects the actual entrydata node.
	 Also the /text isn't a node, or anything.  Maybe if the XML was formed

Actually, I tried to do this selection in two parts, like yours, ie;
	> <xsl:template match="viewentries/viewentry">
	> <xsl:for-each select=".[entrydata[@columnnumber='1']='Autobiography']">

but it definitely did not like this.  Maybe someone can offer an
explanation?

I'm using XML Spy v3.5 with MXSML 3.0

Cheers,

Brent