Re: Built in templates

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:30:18 +0100, you wrote:

>Well I can't remember the exact name but there are builtin
>rules that for example copy all the text() elements accross
>into the output from unrecognised nodes.

Close: I believe the correct term is built-in template rule.

Your example is an instance of something I also find untidy: the need
to trigger a given template in any of a number of modes.  Yes, I know
the trick of using call-template, but that is also untidy for small
templates especially with parameters.

Which brings me on to the other oddity: that while the built-in
templates pass on the mode, they do not pass on parameters.  I can see
the rationale in the context of an environment using templates from
different authors which makes use of defaults for parameters: but that
problem seems to be small compared to the bad interaction with default
templates.

The language could be changed in a compatible way, e.g

  - a new attribute 'modes' on xsl:template which takes a list of
modes.  Meaning: exactly equivalent to replicating the template for
each mode.  (You can allow mode='' to be given to include the default
mode).
 - a new attribute 'use-current-mode' on apply-templates and
call-templates.  Meaning: if 'yes' then same as mode="whatever" in the
replicated copies above.  Default 'no'.
 - a new attribute 'pass-parameters' on apply-templates and
call-templates.  Meaning: if 'yes' then same as providing the
necessary with-param elements to pass the values of all parameters
declared on the enclosing template which had values.  The effect is
recursive for any built-in templates invoked by apply-templates.
Default 'no'

Anybody else thinking along these lines?  I have to confess I did not
check the XSLT 1.1 stuff before I wrote this, so I'm prepared for the
answer 'we already thought of that'.  Indeed I would be surprised if
this is not the case.

Regards,
Trevor Nash