namespace transform issue

Hello List,
I had some trouble with this a little while ago, and thought I had figured
it out.

I'm transforming an XML into and XSL with another XSL, and using namespaces
to ensure that XSL processing instructions are not interpreted as such by in
the original transformation.

My code looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<alex:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.alex.com";
xmlns:larry="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";  version="1.0">
<alex:namespace-alias stylesheet-prefix="alex" result-prefix="xsl"/>

And then on to do all the work.

The problem I'm having is that in my resulting XSL,
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.alex.com";>

Xalan refuses to transform unless http://alex.com is replaced with
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform.

I get the following error:
XSL Warning: xsl:stylesheet requires a 'version' attribute!, Location
file:C:/transform.xsl, line 2, offset 63

and the transformed output simply copies the code from the XSL to the
resulting html file.

Pretty strange.

If I switch http://alex.com with http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform,
everything works perfectly.

I thought this URL had nothing to do with transforming, but was a
placeholder for unique names?  Is this xalan specific?

Thanks in advance!
Alex