Trouble getting XALAN to work...

Hello all,

  I am attempting to integrate Xalan into a system
about one year old, and having mixed results:  I
think the parser used by my system is not what Xalan
wants to use (although using a jaxp.properties file
in the jdk/lib directory made no difference).

  I have added some XSLT translation utilities to
the system, and can use them (and other XML utilities
already there) from a command-line testing program,
but when used as part of the whole system (a series
of servlets doing basic servlet stuff!), everything
dies without any error messages that I can tell when

  1) it attempts to parse an XML document and my
     XSL utilities are in the same class where the
     parsing takes place (although my methods are
     NOT being called!)

  2) it calls any of my XSL translation methods
     and my XSLT utilities are in their own class

  Again, any of the above works thru a simple command-
line testing program (using the same jar file), but
not any other way...

  Sorry if this is vague - I don't have a full
grasp of the system I'm working with, obviously.

  If there is a more appropriate place to post this,
I'd be happy to get pointers.

  Sincere thanks for any help anyone can offer,

     Paul