RE: xsl] XSL and XMLSchema

Michael Kay wrote at 27 Apr 2001 15:58:08 +0100:
 > > Out of curiousity, have you looked at using the new Musical Symbols
 > > characters in Unicode 3.1 (see
 > > http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr27/ and
 > > http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf) to represent the notes?
 >
 > Out of curiosity, how are these intended to be used? It's all very well

They are supposed to be used in plain text, but you can do more if you
use "higher-level protocols, such as music description languages and
file formats for the representation of musical data and musical
scores."  Note that "[l]ack of pitch encoding is not a shortcoming,
but a necessary feature of the encoding."

 > having a character that represents the beam joining two semiquavers, but how
 > do I control the length and angle of the beam so it actually meets the right
 > notes?

To quote Norman Walsh, it's a simple matter of programming (SMOP).  In
fact, there may eventually be OpenType or other high-tech fonts that
contain the ligatures for semiquaver-beam-semiquaver, etc. so you
won't even have to think about it.

 > I think this is a wonderful example of the point you make somewhere in your
 > book that the borderline between characters and non-characters is very
 > fuzzy; some of these definitely strike me as outside that boundary!

One person's glyph might be another person's character.

Regards,

Tony Graham