translate function

Hi,

I'm using XSLT to tranform XML into HTML/JavaScript (using Xalan/Xerxes).  I
am running into problems with quotes/apostrophes when I use XSL in
combination with JavaScript.  If there is a quote or an apostrophe in the
XML that I am taking the value-of, it causes problems with the quotes I am
using to declare a string in JavaScript.  I have been unable to use the
translate() function to solve this problem.  Does anyone have  any
suggestions?  See the simplified example below:

XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="stylesheet.xsl"?>
<root>
    <myNode><![CDATA[It's me]]></myNode>
</root>

XSL:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.0">
<xsl:template match="/">

      var myNode = '<xsl:value-of select="root/myNode"/>';
      alert(myNode);
  </script>

</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

The resultant HTML page has a javascript error on it because of the
apostrophe in <myNode>.

Thanks for the help,
Steve Fitzpatrick