Re: nested templates?

At 07:55 PM 5/16/01, you wrote:
>I've seen that faq and _all_ of the examples are:
>
>xsl:stylesheet
>
>xsl:template
>xsl:apply-templates
>
>xsl:template
>
>xsl:template
>
>.. ad infinum.
>
>-- this is the "lots of little bits" method, which is not useful for
>production.

Why not? A template matches a node, matching it by node type, by element or
attribute type name, or by some other identifier such as an ID or key
value. It doesn't matter where in the source tree the node is, or how deep;
once that node is picked up for processing (through an xsl:apply-templates
instruction), the template applies. For a given type of node, you get a
given output. Why is this not useful? It seems particularly elegant and
powerful especially for the sort of semi-structured,
not-entirely-predictable, arbitrarily deep, hierarchical data sets
(documents) that are so common among markup applications. Many of us use it
every day.

Cheers,
Wendell