templates, not nested

Hello,

Background to problem:

My inital query was about character transformations and this was resolved
via David Pawsons web site (thanks to David Carisle & Michael Kay).  However
I want to perform 3 character transformation meaning I need to call this
transformation template 3 times, my stylesheet is formed as a single
template. I'm barking up the nested template tree a bit.  I have followed
the previous mails but I am nevertheless confused.

A brief description of my problem:

Therfore I am extracting text from an xml file and I want to replace 3
character in this text, any suggestions about the positioning and if its a
<xsl:call-template>, <xsl:apply-template> with modes etc. I shall be very
grateful as I'm confused!

template code to perform character transformation within a string:

<xsl:template name="replace-string">
    <xsl:param name="text"/>
    <xsl:param name="replace"/>
    <xsl:param name="with"/>
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="contains($text,$replace)">
        <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($text, $replace)" />
        <xsl:value-of select="$with" />
        <xsl:call-template name="replace-string">
          <xsl:with-param name="text"
select="substring-after($text,$replace)" />
          <xsl:with-param name="replace" select="$replace"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="with" select="$with"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:value-of select="$text"/>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

Sample xslt of want I'm trying to achieve:

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:varabile name="title" select"...." />
want to call template replace-string here with param text=$title

Many Thanks,
Julie Mc Cabe.