Re: nested templates?

> I don't think that XSLT should be OO, but I argue in a book that I'm writing
> that XSLT, in conjunction with Schema, XLink and RDF, works best when the
> whole is considered as an OO system. XSLT serves as a mechanism for defining
> methods on XML objects defined by schemas, schemas can be used as
> constructors, inheritance is a natural consequence of the importing and
> including mechanisms that XSLT has, and the stateless nature of XSLT
> transformations makes concepts such as garbage collection pretty much moot.
> The definition of encapsulation has to be stretched a bit, since you have
> the multiple distinct conditions that XSLT makes it possible to create
> methods that apply equally well to schemas that may have no particular
> elements in common, but that are relationally similar.

All this sounds like contrivance to me.

I think that one of XML's greatest strength is that it provides far more
expressive power in describing the real world than OO is remotely capable of.
Some of the scariest developments of XML IMO are coming as a result of people
insisting on shoe-horning XML technologies into their familiar OO world-view.

OO is an excellent technique, and especially powerful for small-granularity
module development, but it is no universal solvent for modeling.