Re: generic method of getting element length

At 07:45 PM 5/30/01, you wrote:
>Anyone know of a generic method og getting the length of an element
>within a transformation?

Assuming you want the name of the context node,

string-length(name())

or

string-length(local-name())

if you want to prevent namespaces from appearing.
(string-length(local-name(..)) would get the length of the name of the
parent, etc.)

>I know that some brands of XSLT have a length method, but is there a way
>that would work for all
>brands?

There is only one brand of XSLT; these functions will work in all
conformant implementations. That-which-Microsoft-has-called-XSL (their
implementation of www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl) is only arguably a "brand" of an
obsolete version of XSL (nice word though), and never was, nor ever will
be, XSLT. I doubt that the expressions above will work with it, since
they're XPath, and XPath didn't exist in December 1998 when it came out.

Good luck,
Wendell