RE: generic method of getting element length

> I have an element that is of type xsd:string  I want to test if it is
> longer than a given vale, say 35.

Then let me repeat my question: what do you mean by the length of an
element?

Or if that's too abstract for you, what do you consider to be the length of
the following element:

<a x="3">some text</a>

If you think the length of this is 9, (ie, by the "length of an element" you
mean "the length of its string-value") then you can get it using the
string-length() function.

Mike Kay
Software AG