Efficiency of xsl:number with the "value" attribute specified

I have heard of recommendations to avoid xsl:number if possible, due to efficiency
reasons.

However, the processing of xsl:number falls into two separate distinct cases -- when
the number is already supplied in the "value" attribute, and when not.

My question is should I be concerned (so much, or at all) about efficiency, in case
when I'm using the "value" attribute to specify the number.

Thanks in advance,

Dimitre Novatchev.